Skip to main content

Is there a special admissions process into your program?

Yes. Starting with incoming students in fall 2016, all students need to be admitted to our program in order to graduate with a degree in Biomedical and Health Sciences Engineering. More information is available at the following link: UNC admissions.

I heard that the undergraduate program is now a joint degree between UNC and NC State. What does this mean? Will I have to travel to NC State to take some courses?

Once a student has been admitted to the program (see above), you are a student at both UNC and NC State with access to all facilities at both campuses. We will continue to offer a complete curriculum on each campus so that students do not have to travel in order to complete their curriculum.  However, we encourage students to take advantage of resources on both campuses whenever possible, and any UNC student can also choose to take courses at NC State at no extra charge.

Can I be a pre-med student in your program?

Yes. Medical schools consider BME as an excellent pre-med major. In addition to BME requirements, students must take Biochemistry, Analytical Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry, which also fulfill the necessary requirements for a chemistry minor. More information is available here. If students have Advanced Placement credits from high school, they can usually fit in the extra chemistry courses during the school year. Otherwise, they must take them during the summer.

Can I study abroad?

Yes. Some students study abroad at a technical university to take engineering courses, while others decide to study abroad at a liberal arts university to fulfill their general education requirements. Students may instead choose to coordinate their experience abroad over a summer session. You should work closely with the study abroad office and your advisor to plan your curriculum.

Can I get a minor or second major?

Pre-med students have a minor in Chemistry (see #3 above). Other students get minors or second majors in a variety of fields, including Japanese, Math, Business, and Entrepreneurship. It just requires a little planning and perhaps some AP credits or summer school to make room in the curriculum for the extra courses.

Is the UNC/NC State BME program accredited?

The joint undergraduate program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET,

This curriculum looks demanding. Will I have any time for other activities or for athletics?

Yes. Our students are involved in many other activities, from varsity athletics to a variety of student clubs.

Can I complete a minor or certificate on the partner campus?

Yes, if the following requirements are met:

  • A minor or certificate of the same name is not offered on your home campus.
  • You are admitted to the minor or certificate as determined by the department or organization administering the minor or certificate.
  • You complete the requirements for earning the minor or certificate as determined by the department or organization administering the minor or certificate. The organization administering the minor or certificate is not obligated to accept course equivalencies, transfers or substitutions accepted by the BME program.
  • You complete the requirements for the minors and/or certificates prior to or concurrent with the completion of degree requirements.

Current Student FAQS

Can I complete a double major on the partner campus?

Your admission to the partner campus is for the BME major only. To complete another major, you’ll need to apply and be admitted to that university and change your home campus.

Can I park on the partner campus?

If you have parking on your home campus, you can get a reciprocal parking pass on the partner campus at no additional charge. To get the pass, take your student ID for the partner campus and proof that you are currently paying for parking on your home campus to the partner campus parking office. Let them know you are part of the joint program. If you do not have parking on your home campus, UNC students can purchase parking at NC State directly. NC State students should purchase NC State parking in order to get reciprocal parking at UNC.

Can I take courses at another university?

At UNC, you must have the class pre-approved by a CAS advisor to guarantee that you will receive credit. The Transfer course equivalencies website shows a list of classes that have historically transferred. At NC State, courses on the course equivalency website will transfer. Other courses should be approved by the department that offers the course. For example, the math department will approve math courses.


Director of Undergraduate Studies
Dr. Lianne Cartee
(919) 515-6726

Assoc. Director of Undergraduate Studies
Dr. Naji Husseini
(919) 966-1176

UNC Student Services Coordinator
Rocky Rothrock
(919) 966-1176

NC State Student Services Coordinator
Madison Mowery