The Joint Department of Biomedical Engineering at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill and North Carolina State University is launching a strategic hiring initiative across both of our campuses. Over the next three years, ten new faculty members, with ranks ranging from assistant to full professor, will be recruited to lead collaborative, interdisciplinary biomedical engineering research applied to neurology, orthopedics, lung diseases, cancer, health disparities, predictive biology, clinical needs, with a technical focus in such areas as:
- medical imaging
- regenerative medicine
- rehabilitation engineering
Our department is committed to offering equal opportunities in an inclusive environment where our entire community can thrive. We believe that inclusion creates a better student experience, faculty career, and department culture. To learn more about our department, please visit this link for more information.
All current Faculty and Staff positions are posted below with links that direct to the official job posting.
Current Open Positions
Assistant Teaching Professor
The Assistant Teaching Professor position’s main responsibilities include:
- Delivery of lectures that cover the course objectives as stated on the course syllabus following the dates of the NC State University and University of North Carolina university calendars for the given semester.
- Assessment of student performance, including exams, projects, laboratory assignments and/or homework assignments as outlined on the course syllabus. If the course contains a lab section, overseeing the laboratory component to guarantee appropriate content of lab exercises and coordination of the lab with the lecture.
- All other responsibilities associated with teaching the course, including grading exams, papers and projects in a timely manner and providing help to students during scheduled office hours.
- If a teaching assistant is provided, provide supervision to the teaching assistant and coordinate assignments not exceeding the workload of the teaching assistant.
- Teach courses on topics in one or more of the following areas of Biomedical Engineering (BME): Biomaterials, biomechanics or bioinstrumentation.
- Assist with undergraduate advising and curriculum planning.
Lampe Distinguished Professor in Biomedical Engineering
NC State and UNC seek to recruit a Professor of the Biomedical Engineering Department, who will join BME as a leader in contributing to the academic, scientific, and administrative advancement of the Joint Department. The recruitment of candidates to the Joint Department for this endowed professorship will be at the tenured, full professor level. The successful candidate is expected to bring an internationally recognized research program, a demonstrated ability to attract external funding, and the ability to teach BME courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels. It is envisioned that the Lampe Professor will spearhead multi-disciplinary, multi-department, and/or multi-university initiatives focused on addressing key research challenges in Biomedical Engineering.
Academic Advisor The Academic Advisor position’s main responsibilities include: Contracts and Grants Manager
The Academic Advisor position’s main responsibilities include:
Contracts and Grants Manager
Stay in Touch
If you’re interested in additional new positions that are posted, check back here for updates, follow us on Twitter or connect with us on LinkedIn for up-to-date announcements on individual faculty positions.