Educational Objectives and Student Outcomes
Program Educational Objectives
The graduates of the Biomedical and Health Sciences Engineering (BMHE) undergraduate program will:
Upon graduation, our students will have acquired:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental and economic factors
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgements, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental and societal contexts
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks and meet objectives
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgement to draw conclusions
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
Undergraduate Enrollment and Degrees Awarded
Enrollment is limited to 80 students at UNC and 95 students at NC State.
The joint program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, https://www.abet.org.